Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I left my heart in San Francisco

and my waist in Orange County. Holy hell. When my clients go on vacation for two weeks and come back six pounds heavier, we are surprised and have to discuess their sensitivities. When I go to San Francisco for a long weekend and gain six pounds, I'm offended. Two days later and it's a 4 pound gain but seriously?! Not normal. It was a long weekend, not a two week vacation. Talk about sensitive.

The food, the drink, the ambiance, the company, everything is just so enjoyable in San Francisco. Notice the food and drink were listed first. That's because I'm an addict. To white sugar and high insulin producing foods in general. I love it. Once I have a little bit, I'm like a crack whore in an alley trying to find my next hit. Not that I'm a crack whore or have ever even tried crack, but I think it must be very similar.

The rush, the thrill, the pancreas overworking it's little self to pump, pump, and keep pumping out more insulin, the surge in blood sugar, the happiness, the height, the peak, the moment, the decline. The drop, drop, dropping of the blood sugar goes until the only thing I can think about is another chip or little muffin or perhaps a scone. What the hell, I'm already in the alley!

Getting right with Jesus: While my broth was simmering yesterday, I did all the prep work for salads so my fiance and I could both get back on track. By the time the broth was done I was (or had convinced myself I was) quite hungry and in a moment of weakness thought it would be a good idea to throw some of that left over Persian rice into my bowl with some bok choy. Mind you this is the same rice that turned my stomach into knots the day after the cleanse.

Well apparently now that I'm six pounds heavier and have a stomach of steel (?) I think it's okay to black out and scoop week old left over rice into my soup "just to jazz it up a bit" while I'm trying to get right with Jesus?! WTF. The rice is getting thrown out tonight, I'll tell you that much.

The root of the problem? Pancreatic stimulation. Once your pancreas starts to produce so much insulin, it expects to stay at that level. So if you are used to eating nothing but white flour, sugar, and processed foods and drinks all day, your pancreas is actually looking for the next spike. Or, if you're like me and avoid the white wrath, having even a little bit can make you crazy because you just aren't used to it.

It really is the same as a drug. If you're always hitting the pipe, you're always building your tolerance. And we all know what happens when you avoid the pipe...one little taste and you are feeling goo-oo-ood! So, the reason people have a hard time stabilizing their blood sugar is beyond "will power." It is more physiological than mental. The mental part is huge, don't get me wrong, but if you're constantly amping up your pancreas, it's like your child screaming for another damn french fry. Relentless. So now we know why I put white rice in my beautiful broth and just how easy it is to have momentary black outs, only to resurface minutes later wondering why I would do that to myself.

The worst part? I know better! It's never good when my fiance has to say to me, "It's like when you tell me that it doesn't matter if you eat it or throw it out, it's garbage either way." Thanks for the reminder, Sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment