Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Good-Attitude Girl"

I read this article in the NYT today about the craziness of being "Bikini Ready." They made mention of a picture of Marilyn Monroe in a 1940's fashion book "looking smashing  in a blue-and-white striped two-piece, a roll of pale flesh at her midsection."  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/fashion/the-bikini-as-a-badge-of-fitness.html so of course I had to see it. Fat roll?!

The title of the article is "Bikini Ready? Who's Judging?" My first thoughts? Everyone. How sad is that? If a picture of me in a bikini with a roll showed up on FB, I would be mortified. I've avoided bikinis, beaches and shaving in general just to make it clear that it was not an option. What is this strive for perfection that we desire to attain? If I eat right and work out, shouldn't I look like Giselle? Don't I deserve to look like Giselle?! Creme brulee can never be jello?!

We are so confused and misguided into what "healthy" is and what "normal" is. Just look at the difference of these two photos taken nearly 70 years apart. 


Sir Henry Royce said, "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” And design we have. Billions of dollars in plastic surgery, liposuction, work out dvds and overly air-brushed glam magazines all say to us, "Better work harder. You're not there yet." No wonder we're confused.

My favorite part of the article:

"Not all women let the camera-phone-wielding bikini police (or their own self-criticism) stop them from enjoying a two-piece. Ms. Mills calls this type a 'good-attitude girl.'
'She is a phenomenon and totally inspiring,' she said. 'She is of any age, any body, she has a totally great attitude, because she has had a come-to-Jesus moment with her body.'"

Amen to that. God Bless Marilyn Monroe and may I continue to work on being a good-attitude girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment