Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Regardless of Weight, Be Kind to Your Pancreas

It's Cleanse Day Nine.

My favorite client from SF called me an N-A-Z-I this morning. She can say things like that because she's Jewish (from Israel) but I'm not sure if that makes the statement better or worse! She's way more neurotic than I am but that's what I love about her.

If you have dealt with weight fluctuations in your life, you know you can not mess around with what you put into your body, so she takes this very seriously, which I also appreciate. She's in her 60's and was 30 pounds heavier in her 40's.  I'm in my 20's (well I'm 29, let's be real) and have also been 30 pounds heavier. I know what it's like to have my stomach get in the way of tying my shoes, nothing fitting, avoiding the scale, wanting to call in fat to work. Not Down. So when someone like her calls me a name like that, I get it.

While I'm on this topic of having gained weight and lost it let me just make one thing clear: "Creme brule can never be jello." Let's take me and my sister for instance. She's 5'11" probably about a buck 15 and just had a baby. I never thought she could get skinnier but somehow she did.

I could spend my time boo hooing about how they denied me at the modeling agency when I was 17 years old, 5'7" and under 100 lbs. In one breath the agent told me I was on my way to becoming a plus size model while turning to my sister and asking if she was interested. My sister can eat whatever she wants without gaining a pound, ever, even 10 years later. I don't boo hoo it because I'm not her.

Point being: I will always have to consume less calories than she does to stay at a weight even remotely close to hers. So if you and your best friend both weigh 130 but she's never had a weight issue, YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO CONSUME LESS CALORIES THAN SHE DOES TO MAINTAIN THE SAME WEIGHT THAT SHE DOES. K? Done. No ifs, ands or buts, that's just how the cookie crumbles. Let her have the cookie and you be happy with your apple and 8 almonds.

On that note, your pancreas does not know weight. Let's take my favorite aunt for example, Aunt Jan. She's skinny but was eating oatmeal and toast for breakfast and white refined carbs all throughout the day. Guess who became Diabetic, her or or my aunts that are heavier, but are always watching their weight? You guessed it. Aunt Jan.

So don't be mad that your best friend or sister is skinny and can have their cake and eat it too. Be aware of the outcome of what sugar does to your body regardless of how much you weigh, ESPECIALLY if Diabetes runs in your family. In our cases, it's rampant, on both sides. (should have noted that in family history on Day 8). You wonder why my fiance weighs himself once in the morning and once a night? Fear of Fat. He has also been heavier and has witnessed fluctuations in his family members weight like you can't believe. You can fear the reaper but don't fear the scale. It's only a measure. A very accurate measure.

Rumil just text me. He had a 184.3 weigh in. We're not gym people although I have been utilizing our lap pool which is phenom.  I can see the difference in my body and I would say on a good week, I only hit the pool twice. It's a junior Olympic pool and my swim coach brother-in-law told me to go back and forth four times and count that as one lap. So I do that four times which is sixteen trips back and forth. The only problem now is that my bikini bottoms are falling off. I hate swimsuit shopping and there is no way in hell I'm wearing a speedo one piece. The swim cap is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment