Monday, May 16, 2011

Cleanse Gets Challenging...Days 5, 6, 7

I'm not going to lie.  Things with the cleanse have been rough.  I had a friend in from out of town an she, her mom and I were in the office, wine in tow, yelping vegetarian restaurants to have dinner at because I knew my fiance would not be able to handle ordering veg at a steak house.

We were perusing some Thai food options but I started to get worried. The oil, salt and fat content at restaurants is just too much and no good for cleansing. My friend had to wear a skimpy outfit in a few days at Bay to Breakers, her mom is trying to lose weight and I'm always pretty much watching it. I had suggested making dinner.  Enter: Viva La Resistance.

After Rumil arrived and made a cocktail, a second bottle of wine was opened and the clock was striking 7PM. I knew I had to act fast.  I just so happened to open a bag that had fresh asparagus and brussel sprouts fresh from the Farmer's Market! Fabulous! I had brought my brown rice along with my Mexican Brown Rice recipe that I had really been wanting to try.  My friend's mom had mentioned the night before she wanted to try brown rice so I thought this was the perfect opportunity. Then I was hit with: "Too much clean up." "Too much time." Enough with all that. 

After the sevenhundredmillionth time of requesting to make dinner, I made the executive decision.  Her mom ran to the market to get a few extra things and I got to prepping. As the rice was finishing up I did a quick blanch of the asparagus and brussel sprouts (separately) followed by about 4 heaping tablespoons of some bomb ass garlic mustard from Gilroy.  God Bless Gilroy.

I promised everyone that we would all have good weigh ins in the morning, especially since after the ladies and I had sushi Thursday each of experienced about a pound increase of weight.  I think we got a little crazy with the fruit and chili powder.  Mango is extremely high in sugar and not on the reducing program and the chili powder ingredients were listed in Spanish but I'm sure it was basically like spicy salt. I woke up to 126.5 pound weigh in. Stoked. Can't remember what Rumil's was, my friend never reported and her mom didn't respond to my text message of me wishing her a happy weigh in.  At least we ate in.

Saturday. We stayed the night in Coto and I was kind of rushed in the morning because I had to get from Coto to Irvine to Brea by 9:30 and had lost track of time. I had about 5 minutes to get ready at home so I quickly made an almond butter and banana sandwich.  If you know anything about almond butter you know fast and almond butter do not go hand in hand. 

Ran to my sister's, went to Heavenly Acres, a farm at a house in La Habra Heights ran by five siblings -the oldest being 18. My fiance stayed home and did homework and I arrived back at the house around noon.  We went to Mother's for lunch where I had the Yogi bowl (brown rice and steamed vegetables) and Rumil had vegan nachos. I'm not a fan of soy.  Fake cheese/meat/sour cream, whatever, is all soy. I thought a shot of wheat grass might help it down but the server never brought it.

Sunday.  My fiance's weight was up to 189. I didn't get on the scale which is weird for me. We slept in and went to his parents house for breakfast where we ate eggs.  I know this might not sound very good but for Rumil's middle eastern parents to be understanding that their very carnivorous son is avoiding meat and dairy is a really big deal. 

His uncle always goes vegan for Lent so I think that helped.  No sausage, no butter, no cheese.  That's pretty impressive for a meal at the parents.  We did have pita (whole wheat but I'm sure refined somehow, nonetheless) and some cilantro jalapeno hummus.

We shared a mango and some chopped veggies with red onion later that day for a snack. It looked like we were going to starve for dinner but then my FMIL called...HOMEMADE DOLMA'S??!?! SCORE!  Poor thing had been slaving in the kitchen since we had left at noon! Rumil stuck with the vegetarian dolmas which, again, is very impressive as these bad boys are extremely time consuming to make therefore only made a once or twice a year.

I was so psyched to go over there for dinner it inspired me to get everything ready for our lunch the next day.  Big huge enormous salad for Rumil, a ripe avocado for a sandwich (out of bananas), 2 kiwis, a Mercola Bar, and some Brackers (crunchy like crackers, filling like bread...raw foodie friendly made in Daly City by my Raw Food Mentor/RN Janice) along the way.

We had to have a serious heart to heart about the beer and liquor.  Seriously, it's just not working.
"Just 5 days, I begged." So now, the real cleanse begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment