Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Raw Cheesy Noodles

Monday I work a 12 hour day and I knew as I was driving home that I was not going to be able to prepare anything without having a melt down. I b-lined to Whole Foods and picked up a raw marinated kale and mushroom salad with red onion and bell pepper and a zucchini pasta with lemon pesto. The pasta was  super bland and not my thing but the kale salad was delish. 

On Tuesday I had time to go to Costco to get what organic vegetables they do sell (I'm a budget and yes Costco actually has good quality organic or pesticide free so cal grown veggies) and then a trip back to Whole Foods to spend a million dollars on nuts, zucchinis, sun dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, 100% pure virgin organic coconut oil (skin, hair and cooking), some jalapenos, Serrano's, and habaneros. 

I had a reality check with myself that if I really want to make this thing work, I need to get on the sauce wagon. Enter Cashew Cheese. I don't want to be a crazy zealot, so I am basically doing what I can do. I did buy cashews from Costco because they were way more affordable than the 16.99 a pound at Whole Foods. They might be roasted but all the ingredients say are: cashews. I'm okay with that. I'm making it work and most importantly, I'm not making myself crazy. If you're a raw food fanatic, be supportive. Don't judge. If you're someone who is trying to turn the train around, let this be a reminder that one choice out of ten makes a difference! Do whatever you can to live a little better. I will never buy these cashews again, but for now they are helping me stay afloat and keeping me away from tortilla chips.

I got lucky on Monday night, when I forgot to write down the sku number for my sprouted almonds. The cashier charged my 3.99 a pound. When I went back yesterday I checked the price: 16.99 a pound.

Raw Cheesy Noodle Sauce:
1 cup cashews
3 cloves garlic (your preference)
1/4 white onion
1 jalapeno (should have used 2 or 1 serrano or habanero)
2 TBS nutritional yeast
pinch of sea salt
fresh cracked pepper

Zucchini Pasta:
3 zucchinis, sliced thinly long ways. stack one on top of the other and then slice again into strips to create "noodles." 
4 small tomatoes, sliced, chopped, however you prefer
2 cups of baby bella mushrooms, chopped
cilantro to taste

Put all of the sauce ingredients into the blender and cover just to the top with water. Blend well. Add more water if you want a thinner consistency. 

Put pasta ingredients into large mixing bowl, cover with sauce and stir well. I let mine sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes before serving. It was amazing! 

This morning's smoothie:

5 rainbow chard leaves (saved stems for broth)
2 clementines
2 small handfuls frozen mixed berries
almond milk - maybe a cup
1 large handful ice
blend well. 

IT'S SO GOOD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment