Saturday, February 25, 2012

Quick Snack

So, you're probably thinking, "What the hell is that?" That is what I call a super quick snack. We had a killer day in the garden; everyone ate In In Out while I slaved away pretending it wasn't happening, and quickly came home before heading to Manhattan Beach for dinner with friends.

Raw Food Tacos:
First, I rinsed the romaine leaves. Simple.
Then, I opened up the snapware container that had the chopped celery in it from last night that wouldn't fit into the cup I had put the rest of the celery in.
Sidebar: if you put celery in just a touch of water and keep it on top shelf of fridge, it will stay fresher longer. You need a wide cup, hence 3 sticks not fitting. And celery is on the Dirty Dozen List, mind you, so be sure you get that ish organic.
http://vegan.sheknows.com/2011/06/14/the-new-dirty-dozen-and-clean-15-fruits-and-vegetables/

Mmmk, so then, I quickly marinated the celery. By quickly, I mean squirted some dijon mustard directly on top of it (yes, I know it's a prepared food, thank you) along with some ACV (that's short for apple cider vinegar, remember that) quickly sliced shallot, salad sprinkle http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?cn=Salad+Sprinkle&ct=spicesaz (if you don't know, now you know) and one green bean and one cayenne pepper from the vinegar jar from my dad's girlfriend. Same jar as last night, which has totally been neglected since before this raw food thing began. When all you're eating is cheese you forget about everything else, or at least I do.

Put lid back on snapware and shake so mixture is "marinated." Add more ACV if needed. Oh, I forgot pumpkin seeds. Always add some kind of seed or nut for good measure.

Shake, shake, shake the water off those romaine leaves, set them on the plate with stems intact.
Squirt mustard on each leaf and spread with spoon...it takes two seconds, I swear.
Then scoop celery mix onto each leaf. Sit down at the table.
Take the left side of the leaf and roll burrito style, using stem for added crunch. Am I making any sense? If it were a burrito, you would tuck the bottom part of tortilla before completely folding. This is not a flour tortilla; it's lettuce. See the far left side of the leaf above? It rolls easily, covering the mixture and then you snap the stem toward the top. Super crunchy, super satisfying, and yes I ate all four. You got beef? I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment