Friday, February 24, 2012

What is this about?

Day two of Lent was yesterday, and we went to my fiance's parents house to visit with his mom who just had shoulder surgery. When you're fasting, it's important that you have your time alone. As David Wolfe just said at the Women's Wellness Conference: don't eat, hide, sleep and turn your phone off.

I was hesitant to go over there because he said they were ordering pizza, which just so happens to be my favorite naughty food. So I sucked it up, grabbed an apple, a lemon, and the salad fixings for today's lunch, just in case. Turns out, all I needed was the lemon for some warm lemon water, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

When we got to his parents house, his brother's were there along with a bottle of tequila and a 12 pack of Pacifico. My fiance asked me if I would be mad if he drank...hmmm...this whole fasting, Lent thing is not supposed to be about me getting mad at you for not following through, oh on day two. So I let go. That's right. I'm on day two of 100% raw food and I let go. It felt good. Today I feel amazing. I have a presentation at a doctor's office this afternoon on diabetes education and if more than three people show up, I'll be psyched.

Here's the thing though...this is not about getting mad at your partner when they decide to fall off the wagon. This is about you (or me in this case) and our personal decision to commit to something and follow through with it. I am off of processed foods for the next 38 days and if this doesn't bring me closer to God, I don't know what will. I am letting go of control. Letting go of trying to get someone else to do something that maybe they really don't want to do. He said he would give up alcohol and at the first temptation he gave in. I can't dwell on that.

I made a bomb ass smoothie this morning with two handfuls of spinach, an orange, half a banana, almond milk, and ice, which I will be nursing all morning.

Restore, Revitalize, Regroup. This is about me.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! Good luck on the next 38 days. Peace and love.

    ReplyDelete