Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent Day 2

So my deal with the cleanse is no packaged foods, mostly raw foods, so my friend and I went to Raw World in Santa Monica last night and it was pretty good. Would it be terrible if I said I liked Cafe Gratitude better? I appreciate both business entirely but that shake that tastes like cookies and cream, the spring rolls and the kale and almond salad at Cafe Gratitude really can not be beat. So yesterday was a great day of staying on course, and getting closer to Jesus. That's the whole point, right?

My friend just so happens to be Catholic (or was Catholic or whatever) and he said they don't take Sunday's off. Well after a little googling around, I have found that most people do take Sunday off (it's a mini-Easter slash day of feasting -- news to me) so we will stick with the original plan. BTW, did you know the Pope himself will be tweeting once a day about #lent? http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-pope-twitter-lent-20120222,0,6561776.story

Back to Lent, giving things up, taking a day off, etc...my dad's girlfriend had to switch gardening to Saturday instead of Sunday because she has to meet with her AA sponser. Via text she said, "Once you get in a recovery group, it seems that you have to relinquish a lot of control over your own life to have any peace in the program. Like Zombies. I'd like to just run from everything."

She plays in the band though and she does love that. But imagine, giving something up FOREVER. Lenten FOREVER. You're an addict and you can never ever ever ever have one single drink again. I assured her that although it must be difficult they are really just looking out, and that really, everyone wants to run from everything when there is a problem. That is the problem. This is reality. Dealing with reality. Living in your reality.

I had several clients in SF that were part of AA and one of them said to me once that sugar was his first addiction. It took all this time, eating sugar as a kid, drinking and doing drugs, going through recovery, being sober for 10 years and then coming into my office to realize that his childhood is where the addiction began. Sugar. That white poison that ruined him for several years of his life was only manifesting itself it different forms...FOR YEARS. And it will continue to manifest itself and rear it's ugly head forever. You're not drunk off doughnuts or high on bagels...or are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment