Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wild Rice Mushroom Mix

I'm taking this cleanse for Lent one day at a time and it is seriously the only way to go. And I know that, I mean I tell my clients that everyday! I don't want to go back to processed foods when this is done. 

I watched some really great youtube videos yesterday about raw foodism. One raw foodie girl who I adore said take your age and divide by 15 to figure out how long it will really take you to detox. Something to do with our 31.5 foot colons and our body's regenerating cells every 6 months. Well I'm about to be 30 so that's two years. She is crazy raw. Fully raw and only organic. I love that she is pure veggie and anti packaged food. She kind of even hates on dehydrators and sun dried tomatoes, but also said that sitting down and eating 16 oranges as a complete meal was totally normal. As a Health Educator, I am confused by that notion.

For me personally, I would rather have a little wild rice or quinoa and massive raw vegetable salad than ever sit down to 16 oranges. I mean honestly, I got a little stomach upset today and I'm pretty sure the culprit was too many goji berries. I'm very sensitive to sugar. I knew when I was making the trail mix on Sunday that I added too many goji berries to the mix, but I figured I could filter them out. Think again. Between that and the little bit of my smoothie I drank, I could barely eat my salad at lunch. Now I'm quite tired. #re-detox

Last night I made my first successful (vegan) meal. By successful I mean my fiance didn't have to pour half a bottle of Chulula on it. In fact, he didn't use any! In order to keep him satisified he needs to be eating more than just veggies. He does eat meat and cheese, but not every night and I just don't mention that I have completely changed my "cooking" style. The less I say the word "raw" or "vegan" the better. Ya feel me?


Wild Rice Mushroom Mix:

1 cup wild rice or quinoa, cooked
8 mushrooms, sliced
2 cups, sliced broccoli 
1 habanero, diced

Cook rice on stove and slowly mix vegetables in after the rice has cooked completely. Keep covered for two minutes. Stir well.

While the rice is cooking prepare a massive bowl on the side of:

1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped - leaves only 
2 cups cauliflower, sliced and broken into small pieces
1 cucumber
4-5 small tomatos, sliced  
2 cups broccoli, sliced and broken into small pieces
5 mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 jalapeno, sliced  

We had leftovers for lunch.


So basically what happens is, he eats a lot of the rice mixture while I eat a about 1/2 cup of the rice mixture and then probably 2 cups of the raw veg mixture. My secret to the rice this time around?? Add in the old habanero. Oh yeah. Slice and Dice, baby!

I was pretty surprised when I asked Rumil if he wanted feta on his salad for lunch and he said no, that the rawmesan I made was fine. Well of course he didn't say rawmesan but you catch my drift. Rawmesan is finely diced walnuts and garlic in this household. Mimi, the author of Live Raw, says use cashews, but we're fresh out.

No comments:

Post a Comment