Friday, March 23, 2012

Farm Fresh Magic


Guess how many bunches of chard there are. I dare you.

~

I'm sure you can imagine my surprise as I was going through my produce box at work and could not count on one or even two hands how many bunches of green chard I had. For real. I couldn't even count until I got home because I kept losing track.

Do you know how many bunches there are in the picture above? Twelve. I counted twice and there were twelve bunches of green chard. At this rate I am going to have to go through two to three bunches a day. Remind me to google "eating too much raw chard" later...

One time when I was eating a lot of raw bok choy I googled it to find that this 80 year old woman ate too much raw bok choy and she sent herself into a thyroid induced coma. Apparently she was eating two  to three pounds of raw bok choy a day so I would keep it to a minimum of a few cups.

With Farm Fresh To You you can edit your exclusions (which is brilliant), so I'm pretty sure getting this many bunches of chard is a direct result of my exclusions list but I could have used more fruit.  Anyway, I knew I had to act fast because the life on the chard is a week if you're lucky. Twelve divided by seven...yeah.




So this is what I threw together that very night. In the yellow bowl in the back we have rainbow chard, sliced in ribbons, and on the  cutting board we have matchstick carrots and celery and sliced white onion on top of the collard. All of this from our produce box.

The sauce is a walnut cream cheese, and seriously turned out to be the best ever. It is the closest to cream cheese I have created. To top it all off, my fiance didn't have to douse it with Cholula. That's kind of a big deal.

Walnut Cream Cheese:

1 cup walnuts, I soaked mine all day but even an hour or so would be good
2 sun dried tomatoes, soaked for 10 or 15 minutes to reconstitute
1 jalapeno, cut into a few pieces
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
a splash of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
cayenne pepper - lots

Place all ingredients in blender and pour one cup of (preferably filtered) water into the mix. Blend on low variable and low speed. It should taste how you want it to so season or spice according to your taste buds. We like it hot. Add more water for desired consistency.



This is a collard wrap turned salad. I used the leftover collards we had, sliced them into ribbons, tossed them with the left over veggies, and added broccoli and chopped walnuts for lunch the next day. The walnuts I chop and put on our salads in the morning. I added some feta to my fiance's and he ate it without dressing. I used the Bragg's Liquid Aminos on mine.  It brings the flavor together perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment